Fossett stands down his crew as weather patterns fail to develop

Skipper Steve Fossett has been advised by weather router Bob Rice to stay put and wait for more suitable weather patterns to develop. With many other projects in need of his attention, Fossett hass decided that if they don’t get the green light by mid-July, then the record attempt will have to be put back.

“This is disappointing,” said Fossett. “The pattern which looked excellent a few days ago has now degenerated to totally unacceptable. We will remain prepared for another opportunity to start through mid-July, but beginning 25 July I must be on standby for my ‘First Solo’ around the world balloon attempt from Australia.

“In this case, we will be back on track for the transatlantic record attempt later in August or September.”