Milestones in yachting
This month in (January 2000) Yachting World:
WIN a day out on Pete Goss’ giant catamaran Team Philips, the fastest and most radical boat afloat. Full details and an entry form are to be found in the latest issue.
– Editor Andrew Bray takes a personal look at key events over the last 150 years including the 1976 OSTAR, 1983 America’s Cup and 1979 Fastnet Race.
– Elaine Bunting pays tribute to those adventurous spirits who pushed back the frontiers of sailing exploration.
– Deputy Editor David Glenn looks at how yacht design over the last century has gone full circle from the building of grand yachts for the super rich to production yachts and back.
– Sir Peter Johnson chronicles the development in yacht racing from the first Bermuda Race in 1923 to the great round the world events.
– From long distance transoceanic passage times to outright speed, James Boyd looks at how sailing records have toppled over the last century.
– With the help of ex-editor Bernard Hayman, James Boyd examines key technological advancements in yachting gear including navigation equipment, oilskins and depth sounders.
– Our selection of the best sailing images of the century from the world’s top photographers.
- From Auckland, Daily Telegraph yachting correspondent Tim Jeffery outlines the progress in the Louis Vuitton Cup following the first round robins. Plus spectacular photos of Young America as she breaks in half.
- Grant Dalton to skipper giant catamaran in The Race. We talk to the former Whitbread winner.
- Digital distress DSC calling put into practise for the first time in anger in the UK.
- Jean-Luc van den Heede retires from his attempt on Mike Golding’s westabout solo circumnavigation record.
- Record numbers in ARC fleet.
- Letters from yesteryear. Many burning issues are still relevant today. Readers guess which year these letters were published.
- John Passmore sailed the first leg of the Millenium Round the World Yacht Race.
- Bob Fisher on the invasion of a yacht by cows.
- Beth Leonard tackles the Labrador current and iceberg on a cruise around Newfoundland’s east coast.
- Reports on the Transat Jacques Vabre and Mini Transat and the latest from the Volvo Occean Race.
- Technical Editor Matt Sheahan looks ahead to the future.