Briton suffers from damaged sail, as French continue winning streak
Three French teams have emerged among the top four of the standings after 13 races at the seventh stage of the World Match Racing Tour. ISAF number one-ranked Mathieu Richard (FRA) and his French Match Racing Team/Team French Spirit continued their winning ways from yesterday, adding three more wins to his score card, and losing only once to team mate Damien Iehl (FRA), who lies in fourth.
Another team mate, Sebastian Col (FRA) and his French Match Racing Team/K-Challenge, has had an even better day, winning five matches to earn a 6-1 score to lie in third among the field of twelve teams at Troia Portugal Match Cup.
Spoiling the all-French sweep at the top is 22-year old Torvar Mirsky (AUS), who has been sailing well on an impressive 6-2 record earned thus far, including a win against current Tour leader Brit Ian Williams. In this match, Mirsky benefited from a massively damaged spinnaker on Williams’ SM40, torn at its first hoist and thus slowing the British team on both runs of their match.
1. Mathieu Richard (FRA),French Match Racing Team/Team French Spirit 7 – 1
2. Torvar Mirsky (AUS), Mirsky Racing Team 6 – 2
3. Sebastian Col (FRA), French Match Racing Team/K-Challenge 5 – 1
4. Damien Iehl (FRA), French Match Racing Team 4 – 4
5. Paolo Cian (ITA), Team Shosholoza 4 – 2
6. Ian Williams (GBR), Team Pindar 3 – 4
7. Bjorn Hansen (SWE), Alandia Sailing Team Team 2 – 4
8. Alvaro Marinho (POR), 2 – 3
9. Magnus Holmberg (SWE), Victory Challenge 2 – 3
10. Adam Minoprio (NZL), Emirates Team New Zealand/BlackMatch Racing 1 – 4
11. Manuel Weiller (ESP), 1 – 4
12. Nick Cherry (GBR), 1 – 6
For more information, visit www.worldmatchracingtour.com .