50 Figaro sailors, including some of the world's best ocean racers, have crossed the start line and are heading to St Barths 3900 miles away
At 14:00 local time yesterday (Sunday 18 April), the 25 pairs of Figaro Beneteau sailors in the Transatlantic AG2R race started from Concarneau France on their 3890 mile voyage to St Barths.
The course takes the fleet across the Bay of Biscay to the Canary Islands, and then acros the Atlantic to Saint Barth. Depending on the average wind strength across the course, ETA varies from 8 to 13 May. Winds will be very light overnight in the Bay of Biscay, ranging from calm to 5 knots from the North, filling in from the north. it is expected that most of the sailors will head farther west from the direct course in anticipation of picking up some wind.
First around the mark were Henri-Paul Schipman and Pierre Canevat, who have since slipped to 11th place, but less than a mile separates the top 18 teams.
Leaderboard, Sunday 18 April 19:00 GMT:
1. Generali – Europ Assistance, Yann Elies / Jeremie Beyou
2. Lufthansa, Ronan Treussart / Yannick Le Clech
3. Luisina, Eric Drouglazet / Laurent Pellecuer
4. Banque Populaire, Jeanne Gregoire / Gerald Veniard
5. Concarneau – Saint Barthelemy, Miguel Danet / Damien Cloarec
6. Memoirestbarth.Com, Richard Ledee / Christophe Lebas
7. Saveol, Romain Attanasio / Samantha Davies
8. Groupe Bel, Kito De Pavant / Sebastien Audigane
9. Cheminees Poujoulat, Bernard Stamm / Gildas Mahe
10. Groupe Snef, Jean Paul Mouren / Paul Meilhat
For more, visit transat.ag2rlamondiale.fr