Frustrating conditions for day two of the Sydney International Regatta
Today’s sailing conditions were in vast contrast to those the competitors in the Sydney International Regatta experienced yesterday. The fleet sailed in a light shifty breeze that started the day in the north-east then clocked around to the north-west and at times was non existent.
Sailors from Great Britain, USA, Singapore, Sweden, New Zealand, Canada, Chile, Finland, Malaysia, Czech Republic and Australia are enjoying the opportunity to sail on Sydney Harbour in the summer and use SIRs as training for prior to State and National Championships.
In the ISAF Grade One Laser fleet Canadian Michael Lee won race three of the series with Brett Bayer (AUS) in second and Brendan Casey (AUS) third. Finnish sailor Roope Suomalainen finished fifth in the third race and seventh in race four which pushes him back to second overall. New Zealander Michael Bultot is now in the lead position overall with a fourth and first places today.
The Laser Radial fleet is being led by Zac Skulander (AUS) with world champion Krystal Weir (AUS) maintaining her overnight position of third overall.
Western Australian Finn sailor Josh Beaver (AUS) took the gun in race three of the regatta with UK sailor Jim Turner finishing second and Anthony ‘Nocka’ Nossiter (AUS) third. Nocka returned to the top spot in race four winning from Turner.
Darren Bundock and Aaron Worrall (AUS) continue to lead the Tornado fleet with Robbie Lovig and Glen Douglas (AUS) in second and Greg Wyers and David Hart (AUS) slotting into third after two days of racing.
Queenslander Mathew Belcher and crew Nick Behrens (AUS) reversed day one’s results in the 470 class with two first places today to move into the top spot while Western Australian sailors Elise Rechichi and Tessa Parkinson (AUS) moved into second place with Victorian team Tom Chisholm and Jon Newman (AUS) in third.
Emmett Lazich and crew Jukka Piirainen (AUS) continue to dominate the 49er class with Julian Bethwaite and Tai Elliott (AUS) in second and New Zealanders Scott Kennedy and Chris Kitchen hold onto third place going into the last day.
Racing in the Sydney International Regatta concludes tomorrow.
Results (provisional for Day 2)
1. Michael Bultot (AUS)
2. Roope Suomalainen (FIN)
3. Michael Leigh (CAN)
1. Zac Skulander (AUS)
2. Mark Langford (AUS)
3. Krystal Weir (AUS)
1. Lincoln Albert (AUS)
2. Marc Jarvin (AUS)
3. Hamish Hurley (AUS)
1. Mathew Belcher, Nick Behrens (AUS)
2. Elise Rechichi, Tessa Parkinson (AUS)
3. Tom Chisholm, Jon Newman (AUS)
1. Craig Souter, Jeremy Roberts (AUS)
2. Will Phillips, Max Taylor (AUS)
3. Tom Brewer, Samuel Mackay (AUS)
1. Emmett Lazich, Jukka Piirainen (AUS)
2. Julian Bethwaite, Tai Elliott (AUS)
3. Scott Kennedy, Chris Kitchen (NZL)
1. Silja Lehtinen, Scott Babbage (FIN)
2. Jalen Andreatta, Jamie Jochheim (AUS)
3. Jamie Woods, Ian Jensen (AUS)
1. Anthony Nossiter (AUS)
2. Josh Beaver (AUS)
3. Jim Turner (GBR)
1. Jonathan Bonnitcha (AUS)
2. Michael Lancey (AUS)
3. Corey Plant (AUS)
1. Michael Quirk, Geoff Lange (GBR)
2. Nathan Wilmot, Justine Kelleher (AUS)
3. Andrew Hewson, Kane Sinclair (AUS)
1. Darren Bundock, Aaron Worrall (AUS)
2. Robbie Lovig, Glen Douglas (AUS)
3. Greg Wyers, David Hart (AUS)