Ellen MacArthur, Nick Maloney and an America's Cup yacht at the Southampton Boat Show in September
Exciting features, famous faces, and stunning boats will make up the biggest ever Southampton Boat Show from 10-19 September. This year’s show, in association with the Daily Telegraph, has 20% more exhibition space than last year’s show, and now covers a massive 29.6 acres which is equivalent to 17 St Mary’s Stadium football pitches all packed with things to see and do.
Visitors are promised an action packed Festival of Racing this year. The brand new area, Solent Park, will host the exhilarating Honda Formula 4-stroke racing finals over the first weekend of the show. And other exciting events like the RYA Honda Youth RIB Challenge, the Bell Boat Regatta and guest appearance from Ellen MacArthur and Nick Maloney all add to the fast paced feel of this year’s show.
Whether you’re a boating enthusiast or keen to check out the latest in water sports, sailing holidays or fashion, Europe’s largest show on the water promises to be a great day out for all the family. This year’s special features include:
* The impressive naval vessel, HMS Newcastle. A Type 42 Destroyer, it forms part of the backbone of the Royal Navy’s anti-air capability. Immerse yourself in the ship history, meet the crew and learn about the inner-workings of a fully-fledged naval vessel.
* Ellen MacArthur and the stunning 75ft B&Q trimaran on Saturday 11 and Sunday 12 September fresh from their solo trans-Atlantic record attempt. Visitors can catch Ellen before she embarks on a new solo round the world record at the end of the year.
* Australian Nick Moloney, skipper of the Skandia Multi Manager campaign will also be at the show on Friday 10 September with his Open 60 Skandia. He too will be attempting to sail solo around the world in the famous Vendee Globe race casting off on 7 November.
* Meet weird and wonderful sea creatures using state of the art underwater 3D cameras at Sink and Swim, the national Marine Aquarium attraction, where the latest eerie images from the sunken frigate, Scylla will be continuously screened.
* For an exclusive two-hour experience of a lifetime, hop on board an America’s Cup Yacht as part of the crew. Call the advance bookings hotline 0870 060 0246.
* For those itching to get out on the water to sample some of the top boats from the show, Try-a-boat with SeaBritain 2005 will once again be located on the dockside.
* Test your reflexes at Race Model Boats in association with the RYA and Sunsail in the Dingy Park model boat pool.
As usual the show will have its famous purpose built show marina, the largest in Europe, with 2 kms of pontoons and over 900 boats, sponsored this year by Hydropool. The Hydropool Marina will host an unrivalled display of boats from the historic Thames sailing barge Kitty, to Waterspace’s Optimum 60 designed for state-of-the-art, contemporary river living.
Visitors can also check out the wide range of sailing holidays and watersport breaks available in the UK and abroad, and for the fashion conscious there are plenty of shopping opportunities to ensure you’re decked-out in the latest styles.
*10 September is press and preview day only.