First Blood to Coutts in Battle of the 601s at the Rolex Swan Cup in Sardinia 13/9/06
Despite the grim weather forecasts, the 114-strong fleet participating in the 14th Rolex Swan Cup enjoyed a great opening day, with plenty of sun, temperatures in the high twenties and an easterly breeze ranging between 8 and 10 knots yesterday.
The Yacht Club Costa Smeralda Race Committee, headed by Italian Sandro Ricetto, selected a 29-mile inshore course for the Grand Prix, Classic and Swan 601 divisions, which led the crews on a clockwise circumnavigation of the Archipelago de La Maddalena, while the Swan 45 fleet completed two windward-leeward races.
In the Swan 601 class Torbjorn Tornquist’s Artemis, with America’s Cup legend Russell Coutts calling the tactics took a first win ahead of James R. Swartz’s US entry Moneypenny and Cuordileone. Both boats boast multi-talented crews which include the likes of Whitbread winner Paul Cayard (tactician on Cuordileone) and Dee Smith (tactician on Moneypenny). Tornquist commented: “It was a great course, with a lot of variation. The conditions were just right for us and we were able to use all of our sails. We enjoyed some relatively close racing and we couldn’t have hoped for anything better.”
1. DSK COMIFIN Danilo Salsi ITA, 1/4/5.0
2. BELLICOSA Massimo Ferragamo USA,9/2/11.0
3. PLENTY Alexander Roepers USA, 3/10/13.0
1. ARTEMIS Torbjorn Tornquist SWE, 1/1.0
2. MONEYPENNY James R. Swartz USA, 2/2.0
3. CUORDILEONE Leonardo Ferragamo ITA, 3/3.0
1. BUGIA BIANCA Swan 70 Massimo Dentice ITA, 1/1.0
2. AQUA EQUINOX Swan 56 Filip Balcaen BEL, 2/2.0
3. FANTASTICAAA Swan 100 Lanfranco Cirillo/Leonid Mikchalson ITA, 3/3.0