Mathieu Richard beats Briton Ian Williams in light wind final on World Match Racing Tour
Mathieu Richard was crowned ‘King of the Mountain’ yesterday in St Moritz after beating Briton Ian Williams 2-0 in a light wind final.
At 1130 yesterday morning sailors, umpires and officials were sat with their fingers crossed hoping the breeze would come in enough to get the racing under way. Finally around lunchtime it arrived. It was barely visible on the lake but officials deemed it enough to race in. The first match of the day saw Ian Williams meet Adam Minoprio for a tough race in very shifty conditions.
In the second match, Williams hit the start line with pace and got the favoured pin end. He led comfortably around the course, and was able to fend off Minoprio who attempted to roll ahead down the final leg but couldn’t quite make it. This win saw Team Pindar progress to the final.
In the other semi, Mathieu Richard knocked out fellow Frenchman Philippe Presti.
The wind was rapidly disappearing and moments after the final started it looked as if the breeze had died completely. A split tack saw Richard take an early lead but not enough to be able to cross in front of Williams. As the teams approached the top mark on opposite tacks, Richard on Port, they both luffed head to wind but Richard just had enough speed to wriggle around the bow of Team Pindar to take the lead. Mathieu Richard and crew took first place.
1. Mathieu Richard (FRA) French Match Racing Team / French Spirit
2. Ian Williams (GBR)Team Pindar
3. Philippe Presti (FRA) French Match Racing Team / French Spirit
4. Adam Minoprio (NZL) ETNZ / BlackMatch
5. Sebastien Col (FRA) French Match Racing Team/K Challenge
6. Peter Wibroe (DEN) Wibroe Sailing Team
7. Jes Gram Hansen (DEN) Mascalzone Latino / Trifork Racing
8. Eric Monnin (SUI) search.ch
9. Bjorn Hansen (SWE) Alandia Sailing Team
10. Torvar Mirsky (AUS) Mirsky Racing Team
11. Paolo Cian (ITA) Shosholoza
12. Michael Hestbaek (DEN) Team Hestbaek