A fourth in the last race was enough for the Danish crew to clinch the world championship title in Santander
The final race of the Yngling Women´s World Championship took place on Saturday in a good breeze from the north-east. Although British crew, skippered by Shirley Robertson, led and won the race, the overall championship victory went to the Danish crew Trine Palludan/Christina Otzen/Ida Hartvig sailing ‘Bankinvest’ who finished fourth in the last race.
Jensen, who has had a few disappointing results, finished in second place, just two points behind Palludan, with Cronin third.
Looking to Athens, subject to ratification by ISAF, it is the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway and Canada who will join the other 12 qualified nations on the start line at Athens in three months time.
1. DEN-195.Trine Palludan/Christina Otzen/Ida Hartvig . “BANKINVEST” 84 pts
2. DEN-199, Dorte O.Jensen/Helle Jespersen/Rachel Kiel. “HEMPEL-ELSAM-TULIP”86 pts
3. USA-341, Carol Cronin/Elizabeth Filter/Nancy Haberland. 90 pts
4. USA-337, Sally Barcow/Carrie Hawe/Debbie Capozzi. 92 pts
5. GER-268, Kristin Wagner/Anna Holl/Veronica Lochbrunner. “EADS”. 94 pts
6. NED-310, Janneke Hin/Klaartje Zuiderbaan/Hanne Buis. “HAARLEM” 95 pts
7. NED-311, Annalies Thies/Annemieke Bes/Petronela de Jong.”TNT”. 100 pts
8. RUS-7, Ekaterina Skundina/Tatiana Lartseva/Diana Krutskikh. 111 pts
9. AUS-57, Nicola Bethwaite/Kristen Koslama/ Karin Gosnich. 120 pts
10.NZL-4, Sharon Ferris/Joanna White/Kilie Jameson “Line7”. 127pts