Gold medallists Ben Ainslie and Iain Percy compete
Team Origin – the British challenger for the 33rd America’s Cup, skippered by triple Olympic Gold medallist Ben Ainslie – will compete on the 2009 World Match Racing Tour (WMRT).
Ben will lead a Team Origin crew, that includes double Olympic Gold medallist Iain Percy, Matt Cornwell and Christian Kamp (DEN), at up to 9 match racing events around the world, starting with Match Race Germany on 27 May and culminating with the Monsoon Cup in Malaysia in December.
“Since Team Origin was formed there has been limited opportunity for us to sail as a team. The Tour will allow us to compete at a high level of match racing competition whilst we develop our core sailing team. We look forward to competing on the Tour this year and having a shot at the World Championship. The Tour will aid in our preparations for the next Cup as and when it happens,” explained Ben.
Tour Director Craig Mitchell added, “with the addition of Team Origin to the teams competing on the Tour this year we are shaping up for a highly competitive season. The WMRT’s commercial platform and television coverage will enable the team to continue racing and continue to build the team profile, as well as contributing towards the solid base they need to build a winning Americas Cup team.”
Highlights of WMRT shows can be seen on Sail TV .
Current leader board (after stage one of ten):
1. Adam Minoprio (NZL) Emirates Team New Zealand/Black Match Racing, 25
2. Mathieu Richard (FRA) French Match Racing Team/ French Team Spirit, 20
3. Torvar Mirsky (AUS) Mirsky Racing Team, 15
4. Damien Iehl (FRA) French Match Racing Team, 12
5. Ed Baird (USA) Alinghi, 10
6. Sebastien Col (FRA) French Match Racing Team/K-Challenge, 8
7. Paolo Cian (ITA) Team Shosholoza, 6
8. Ian Williams (GBR) Bahrain Team Pindar, 4 points