Briton Ian Williams sees his World Match Racing Tour lead fall to just 4 points
On the strength of last weekend’s Troia Portugal Match Cup, Sebastian Col (FRA) and his French Match Racing Team/K-Challenge have closed to within only 4 points of current leader and reigning World Champion Ian Williams (GBR) and his Team Pindar.
Racing in Troia presented a variety of challenges, including varied winds – from light to fresh breezes – and strong tidal currents. Despite this, the three French Match Racing Teams of Col, Mathieu Richard, and Damien Iehl sailed exceptionally well, with all three finishing among the top four finishers in the Round Robin to go on to the Semi-Finals. Richard and Col finished this stage first and second, respectively.
The stage is now set for next week’s penultimate Tour event at the King Edward VII Gold Cup in Bermuda, won by Richard last year. Out of a massive field of 24 entries, eight of the top ten teams on the World Tour leader board will be in attendance, with only Holmberg and Cian sitting this one out.
Current World Match Racing Tour Leaderboard (top ten):
1. Ian Williams (GBR) Team Pindar, 92 points
2. Sebastien Col (FRA) French Match Racing Team/K-Challenge, 88
3. Mathieu Richard (FRA) French Match Racing Team/ French Team Spirit, 77
4. Torvar Mirsky (AUS) Mirsky Racing Team, 53
5. Magnus Holmberg (SWE) Victory Challenge, 51
6. Paolo Cian (ITA) Team Shosholoza, 43
7. Bjorn Hansen (SWE) Alandia Sailing Team, 40
8. Damien Iehl (FRA) French Match Racing Team, 37
9. Mattias Rahm (SWE) Stena Bulk Sailing Team, 34
10. Adam Minoprio (NZL) Emirates Team New Zealand/Black Match Racing, 33
For more information, visit www.worldmatchracingtour.com .