The 52 competitors have a rough first night in 35 knot winds 22/4/08
Despite hoping for a quiet beginning, the 26 teams in the Transat AG2R had a very rough first night with 30 to 35 knots northwesterlies. The downwind sail under spinnaker through the Bay of Biscay tested all sailors and boats.
After 11 hours the competitors had sailed nearly 200 miles, with average speeds of 13-14 knots and decks constantly swept by waves.
Taking a decisive move West, on Gedimat, are Armel Tripon and Dominic Vittet. Given the backgrounds of these two navigators, there is little doubt they are not acting on chance. They also remained quiet during the midday radio session.
Phil Sharp and David Krizek have put in a good first night, making speedy progress and climbing up from 17th yesterday evening, to 10th at Monday morning’s 0500 position report – only 5 miles behind the race leaders. The duo is currently reaching in 20 knots of breeze, making speeds of up to 14 knots.
Top ten at 1100, 22/04/2008:
1. Athema – Erwan Tabarly / Vincent Biarnes
2. Financo – Nicolas Troussel / Christopher Pratt
2. Cercle Vert – Gildas Morvan / Jean Le Cam
4. Les Mousquetaires – Bertrand de Broc / Gwen Riou
5. Suzuki Automobiles – Thierry Cabagny / Corentin Douguet
6. Defi Mousquetaires – Thomas Rouxel / Erwan Israel
7. Lenze – Franck Gal / Erwan Le Roux
8. Banque Populaire – Jenanne Gregoire / Nicolas Lunvan
9. Solar Inox – Ronan Guerin / Luc Poupon
10. Concarneau St. Barth – Eric Person / Miguel Danet
For a full list of results, times and distances, click here .