James Spithill wins inaugural Brazil Sailing Cup 19/3/06
The final round of the inaugural Brazil Sailing Cup, Stage 5 of the 2005-’06 World Match Racing Tour, featured two crews that advanced from distinctly different paths.
James Spithill (AUS), Luna Rossa Challenge, entered the final as the favorite having won seven straight races. Throughout the week observers commented that he was sailing fast and smooth. Thierry Peponnet (FRA), K-Challenge, advanced to the final after coming through the repechage round, and that after having survived a 1 point penalty that nearly knocked him out of the regatta.
Peponnet drew first blood in the final. He defeated Spithill when the Aussie got fouled up at the start. But Spithill rallied to win three straight races, including a riveting finale, and captured his second career World Tour victory. Spithill’s crew included Magnus Augustsson (bow), Michele Ivaldi (tactics), Jonathan McKee (mainsail) and Joe Newton (headsails). They finished the regatta with a 10-1 record and won $35,000 of the $100,000 prize purse. Peponnet’s crew included Benoit Briand, Tanguy Cariou, Herve Cunningham and Thierry Douillard. They finished the week with a 10-7 record and won $20,000.
Spithill and Peponnet advanced to the final after 2-0 wins in the semis. Spithill beat Ben Ainslie (GBR), Emirates Team New Zealand, and Peponnet took down Gavin Brady (NZL), Beau Geste Sailing Team. In the Petite Final, Ainslie closed out Brady 2-0.
Overall Results (Prize Purse: $100,000)
1. James Spithill (AUS) Luna Rossa Challenge, 10-1, $35,000 (Crew: Magnus Augustsson, Michele Ivaldi, Jonathan McKee, Joe Newton)
2. Thierry Peponnet (FRA) K-Challenge, 10-7, $20,000
(Crew: Benoit Briand, Tanguy Cariou, Herve Cunningham, Thierry Douillard)
3. Ben Ainslie (GBR) Emirates Team New Zealand, 7-5, $15,000
(Crew: Kelvin Harrap, Richard Meacham, Tony Rae, Rob Salthouse)
4. Gavin Brady (NZL) Beau Geste Sailing Team, 4-7, $8,000
(Crew: Jon Gunderson, Brett Jones, Tony Rey, Geordie Shaver)
5. Magnus Holmberg (SWE) Victory Challenge, 5-2, $7,000
(Crew: Anders Dahlsjo, Niklas Carlzon, Lars Linger, Mattias Rahm)
6. Ed Baird (USA) Alinghi, 3-4, $5,500
(Crew: Rodney Ardern, Nils Frei, Murray Jones, Piet Van Nieuwenhuyzen)
6= Dean Barker (NZL) Emirates Team New Zealand, 4-4, $5,500
(Crew: Don Cowie, James Dagg, Jared Henderson, Terry Hutchinson)
8. Ian Williams (GBR) Williams Racing Team, 5-6, $4,000
(Crew: Bill Hardesty, Gerard Mitchell, Mal Parker, Mark Williams)
9. Staffan Lindberg (FIN) Alandia Sailing Team, 3-6
(Crew: Nils Bjerkås, Robert Skarp, Carl-Johan Uckelstam and Daniel Wallberg)
10. Cameron Dunn (NZL) Mascalzone Latino – Capitalia, 3-6
(Crew: Matteo Auguadro, Maciel Chicchetti, Marco Constant, Antar Vigna)
11. Daniel Glomb (BRA) Brazil Match Race Team, 0-10
(Crew: Eduardo Birkeland, Rene Garrafielo, Jose Paulo, Daniel Santiago)